Following a thorough tender process, the School appointed Innovate Services Ltd as the catering provider. The number of students and staff using the catering facilities has considerably increased since Innovate took over. The uptake of students purchasing School meals has increased to 70% with an average of 1,600 daily transactions.
The School work closely with Innovate to ensure that all students have access to a healthy, balanced and varied diet at an acceptable price.
The School site has two canteens offering:
- a two course ‘meal of the day’;
- ‘Grab and Go’ items such as paninis, pizzas and calzone;
- a hot tepan grill providing noodle and rice dishes; and
- fresh pasta, wraps, sandwiches, baguettes and snacks.
A Barista coffee shop serving area is located in the Sixth Form Common Room. This provides a variety of hot and cold menu choices.
Students have access to the canteens before School for breakfast, at breaktime, lunchtime and after School.
In addition to significant capital investment and a profit sharing arrangement, Innovate Services Ltd have provided the following:
- work placement opportunities for students;
- £250 sponsorship with a trophy for the annual Senior Prize Giving;
- prizes of signed Gino D'ACampo books and cooking equipment for auctions; and
- cakes to support the annual MacMillan coffee mornings.
On a daily basis Innovate provide a mixture of vegetarian options in all serving areas. These include:
- a vegetarian main meal option;
- vegetarian calzone, pasta and pizza (these are on rotation);
- vegetarian fillings for sandwiches; and
- a vegetarian option on the salad bar.
The School would like to advise parents that Innovate Services Ltd have ensured that both halal and non halal meat products are available in both canteens at George Abbot School. Appropriate signage is in place and students advised of the products on offer.
Student Focused Events
A promotion funded by Innovate took place as an incentive to encourage students to use china plates rather than using disposable cartons.
In addition, Innovates Regional Business Manager regularly attends the School Council Meetings to answer any queries the students may have.
Wisepay/Biometric Payment System
The majority of students are registered to the School’s Biometrics system. This allows transactions to be processed quickly therefore reducing queuing times.
Students in receipt of Pupil Premium and/or Free School Meal allowance can no longer be identified by others, as a daily allowance is simply credited to their account.
The School’s secure online payment system, Wisepay, allows parents/guardians to top up student accounts using their debit/credit card. The system enables access to view daily transactions of items purchased.