SEVENTEEN REALLY GOOD REASONS TO JOIN THE STAFF AT GEORGE ABBOT
Health and Wellbeing, and Staff Benefits
• Integrated systems of consultation include our Change Group and a Staff Association & Welfare Group which meet with representation from every area of the school. This provides a forum for the discussion of any staffing or staff development issue, and supports our focus on with work-life balance and welfare.
• Staff benefits at George Abbot include the opportunity to utilise our healthcare plan supporting health and wellbeing; reduced treatment costs are available to all colleagues in areas such as dentistry, eye care, physiotherapy and many more.
• Staff admissions priority: priority is given to the 'children of staff' who have been employed by the school for more than two years prior to considering applications from 'nearest school'. Please see the Admission Arrangements Policy for further information.
• Masses of extra-curricular opportunities for staff - football and cricket teams, golf society, staff choir, organised fitness sessions - including corporate membership at the local fitness club and a wide variety of organised social activities and discounts available at other organisations.
• A training programme that takes into account the needs of staff through surveys and feedback, to ensure priorities are covered. Professional Development Portfolios for all and a wide range of CPD activities as part of inset and directed time. Quality performance management for all staff and outreach work supporting individuals as well as other schools.
• An excellent supportive induction programme for all staff. Induction days, mentoring and coaching for new managers, NQTs join us at the end of June prior to their first term of teaching.
• As a large school there are many opportunities for staff, at whatever level, to take on additional responsibility of a whole school nature; some with incentive allowances attached, or time provided. As a result many members of staff have been internally promoted.
• External staff development opportunities - attendance at courses and conferences, links with colleges, opportunities for staff exchanges, support for initial teacher training as well as liaison with other educational establishments.
• Previously an Accredited Provider for Initial Teacher Training, now a highly established ‘School-Centred Initial Teacher Training’ (SCITT) offering School Direct Primary and Secondary, Researchers in Schools and Teach Independent programmes. We were a Training School from 2000, and were one of the first 100 Teaching Schools designated. As a result we have vast experience of leading, mentoring and coaching the development of colleagues at all stages of their career.
Learning and Teaching
• We offer 3 non-contact periods as part of a 25 period timetable. These non-contacts are protected as part of our unique cover system. The Leadership Group carry out almost all the cover for absent staff, allowing teachers guaranteed time to use non-contacts as they feel most valuable.
• Support staff employed to embrace Workforce Reform: all faculties have their own teaching assistant; non-teaching pastoral managers staff each year group; excellent administrative support covers all aspects of the National Agreement; plus, we run an excellent training programme dedicated to support staff.
• Outstanding results at GCSE - on average over 81.6% of George Abbot students achieved the benchmark A*-C with 76% of students getting those grades including Maths and English in 2014-2015.
• Outstanding results at Sixth Form level - approximately 11.7% of the grades awarded to George Abbot students were A*, and the number of students receiving A/A* was 33.6%. Approximately 57% of students achieving A*-B grades, with the overall pass rate is once again 99%.
• High profile Leadership Team who believe in the importance of getting into classrooms to support Learning and Teaching, and operate an open door policy so they are accessible to all staff and students.
• Assessed as an “Outstanding School” by Ofsted; twice achieved High Performing Specialist School status with previous specialisms in Visual Arts and Modern Foreign Languages; awarded International School Status with link schools in Europe, Canada, China and Africa.
• One of the best resourced maintained schools in the County. Our excellent staff facilities include - staff work rooms with individual workstations; Staff Lounge which is the hub of the communication centre where free teas and coffees are served morning break time; good ICT facilities for staff use; lunches provided for all Progress Monitoring Consultations and INSET days.
• We are a member of Guildford Education Partnership (GEP Academies), a developing Multi Academy Trust with a cross-phase family of schools with the common aim of continuous school improvement through challenge, collaboration and support. GEP Academies seeks to be a network of schools where every child/young person receives the best possible education through the sharing of best practice and world class professional development opportunities for staff.
quotes from staff
“GA is a lovely school and place to work. I worked with so many fantastic people - teachers and teaching assistants - as well as some fantastic students. If ever I encountered any difficulties I always felt supported not just by my department but by other staff at different levels..”
"I planned to stay for a couple of years. The school's commitment to my development and its consistent and fair approach teaching and learning meant that 20 happy and exciting years elapsed before I knew it.
It has been a privilege to work with such excellent colleagues, supportive parents and wonderful young people for more than 20 years.
George Abbot School gave me the freedom to really hone my craft and encouraged me to take on new challenges that influenced the wider work of the school.
George Abbot School has a really positive energy that enabled me to develop my career in directions that would not otherwise have been possible.
It is great to work in a school that is recognised as being at the forefront locally and nationally."
staff admissions Priority
George Abbot Staff Association
At George Abbot we very much believe in promoting a positive and supportive community amongst staff, both in and outside of the work environment. The George Abbot Staff Association works to organise a variety of social events for staff members ranging from physical fitness classes (run conveniently out of the school facilities) to all staff gala events. Additionally, George Abbot is happy to offer a number of staff discounts at local businesses and services which are complimentary to all staff. The George Abbot Staff Association also works to keep a finger on the pulse of staff welfare and happiness, encouraging a well rounded staff with good work life balance. As a member of staff you are encouraged to be involved in decision making for these events, taking part in surveys and offering ideas to further develop our programme.
George Abbot Staff Fitness
George Abbot offers a number of weekly classes and clubs for staff to join. These take place at the school and are very popular. Currently the following classes and clubs run weekly:
Body & Soul
Train Insane (Medium/High intensity fitness class)
The school also offers a corporate membership with Guildford Spectrum.