Please see below the latest updates from George Abbot School regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19). Click on the images for more information.
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Most people with coronavirus have at least one of these symptoms.
What to do if your child has symptoms
If your child has any of the main symptoms of coronavirus:
- Get a test to check if your child has coronavirus as soon as possible. Book a test online via the gov.uk website:
- https://www.nhs.uk/ conditions/coronavirus-COVID-19/testing-and-tracing/get-a-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/
- Your child should only leave your home to have a test.
- From 16 August, if you are fully vaccinated or aged under 18 years and 6 months you will not be required to self-isolate if you are a contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
Please note we are not able to give medical advice – please ring 111.
Informing the School
If your child develops any of the main symptoms of coronavirus:
- You should inform school immediately via email to email@example.com and your child’s Head of Year. Please do not telephone the absence line.
- If your child has a COVID-19 test and the results are negative, a parent/carer must inform the school in writing of this outcome – emails should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before your child returns to school. Please ensure you adhere to medical and government advice in relation to isolation, where applicable. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/
- If your child has a COVID-19 test and it is positive, please urgently email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re a member of a household, childcare bubble or support bubble of a school student, college student or of a staff member, you can get twice-weekly symptom-free tests.
The symptom-free tests for households are not available from schools or colleges. Households can use any testing offered by their employer, or book an appointment online at a symptom-free testing site, or collect a home-testing kit from a designated collection point, or if unable to travel to a site, order a kit online. You can find out more at surreycc.gov.uk/symptomfreecovidtesting.
If your child or a household or bubble member develop COVID-19 symptoms, do not use symptom-free testing. Book a free test at gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or call 119.