BEING PART OF THE GEORGE ABBOT TEAM
- Staff benefits at George Abbot include the opportunity to utilise our healthcare plan supporting health and wellbeing; reduced treatment costs are available to colleagues in areas such as dentistry, eye care, physiotherapy and many more.
- Staff admissions priority: priority is given to the ‘children of staff’ who have been employed by the school for more than two years prior to considering applications from ‘nearest school’. Please see the Admission Arrangements Policy for further information.
- A training programme that takes into account the individual needs of staff. A carefully thought through meetings structure that deploys staff time to what matters – learning for every student.
- An excellent and supportive induction programme for all staff. Induction days, mentoring and coaching for new managers, NQTs join us at the end of June prior to their first term of teaching.
- As a large school there are many opportunities for staff, at whatever level, to take on additional responsibility of a whole school nature; some with incentive allowances attached, or time provided. As a result, many members of staff have been internally promoted.
- External staff development opportunities – attendance at courses and conferences, links with colleges, opportunities for staff exchanges, support for initial teacher training as well as liaison with other educational establishments.
- A highly successful ‘School-Centred Initial Teacher Training’ (SCITT) offering School Direct Primary and Secondary, Researchers in Schools and Teach Independent programmes. We were a Training School from 2000, and were one of the first 100 Teaching Schools designated. As a result, we have vast experience of leading, mentoring and coaching the development of colleagues at all stages of their career.
- Support staff employed to embrace Workforce Reform: all faculties have their own teaching assistant; non-teaching pastoral managers staff each year group; excellent administrative support throughout the school.
- Great staff facilities which include – staff work rooms with individual workstations; Staff Lounge which is the hub of the communication centre where free teas and coffees are served morning break time; good ICT facilities for staff use; lunches provided for all Progress Monitoring Consultations and INSET days.
- We are a member of Guildford Education Partnership (GEP Academies), a developing Multi Academy Trust with a cross-phase family of schools with the common aim of continuous school improvement through challenge, collaboration and support.
Training to Teach
George Abbot is a great place to train as a teacher. We are a long established Teaching School and provider of school centred, initial teacher training. Our SCITT programme provides training for over 60 teachers annually in both the primary and secondary sector. We have strong partnerships with local schools and offer an excellent range of schools for training placements. We offer both salaried and unsalaried training places in a wide range of subject areas.
For more information, please click the link below: